Monday, June 26, 2017

Harry Potter - 20th Anniversary


HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, MY FELLOW POTTERHEADS!!!

Wow, that was loud.

Anyway, today, is a very important day. It's when it all began! Today, we celebrate 20 years of the magic that has fed our souls and hearts for so many years, and will live forever inside us! Today, we remember that day when Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was first published, and took the world by storm, changing and shaping lives, and becoming a life jacket that kept thousands of kids afloat in the middle of a difficult childhood, taking them to a place that will never truly abandon them. After all, Hogwarts will always be there for those who remain loyal.

I was going to write a long, wordy post about how wonderful the Harry Potter series is, and the place it has in my life, but then I remembered, I've already done that (check my post titled "A Witch's Life for Me!"), so there's little else I can add, except a few tears of joy and love here and there. But I definitely had to do something for the 20th Anniversary, right? I couldn't just remain silent and say nothing about it. So I decided, at least, to display this amazing new covers of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (the anniversary edition, obviously) for those who haven't seen them yet. And for those who have, look again! Just look! Aren't they beautiful?
I want those so bad! You can pick your own House! I myself am a proud Ravenclaw! And no, I'm not happy that in the movies they replaced the eagle by a raven. I mean, I get that the name spells "raven", but that's no excuse. A raven has another kind of metaphorical meaning that has little to do with the intelligence Ravenclaw prioritize above all other virtues. That's way it is an eagle. But that's just how we Ravenclaws are, we love correcting people, especially their grammar. Some people just hate the dictionary.

ANYWAY, we veered of course a bit... How about you? Which is your House?

Oh, and let me tell you a tiny story. On June 18th, I had a magical experience. For starters, I could spend an entire evening sorrounded by die-hard Potterheads. My people! I went to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in Concert, where the Buenos Aires Academic Orchestra played live John Williams' original score, as the movie played in a giant screen. It was fantastic! The place was decorated with Quidditch loops and broomsticks hanging from the ceiling, and at the stage, right above the orchestra, and by the screen's sides, there were banners with the Houses on them! After my experience with Harry Potter during school and all the bullying I had to bear for liking something no one else cared about (it's all in my post), this was just great. People in full costume, or with a Hogwarts scarf, or pointed hats, or wielding wands, or even wearing socks with the Houses' colors, all gasping, and cheering, and yelling, and applauding every time something amazing happened in the movie, or the musicians played some especially meaningful tune (like the harp solo during the trap door scene, or the chess game's part), turned this experience in one of the most magical moments I've ever lived. For a couple of hours, I just let all my worries slip away and watch for the hundredth time a story that fills my soul, and makes me just plainly and purely happy. 

For those who are interested in this concert, there's good news! It's on tour. This time was here, in my city, Buenos Aires, but it is planned to perform in 35 countries around the world, so yours may be next! I couldn't find the entire list of cities it will be in, but I can tell for sure that Spain and Mexico are both in it! And even better news! Next year, we will get another concert, on Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets! It will start this year, around October, in Europe, and it will be stopping by Buenos Aires in March 2018. Needless to say, I'll be there.

Thank you so much for being there and read my little post. If you haven't read the Potter series, oh my God, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?? Movies are great, but are not enough, in any possible way. And if you have and you are my kind of crazy, I'll just say Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus. You know what I mean. *wink*

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, MY DEAR, DIE-HARD POTTERHEADS OUT THERE!! 
Thank you, J. K. Rowling, for so many years of this moving, healing and overall fantastic story. Magic is within us, and there it will stay, to the very end. Always.



0 comments:

Post a Comment